Sunday, January 27, 2008

Happy Daze...

The recent invitation from Robert 'Stainless' Moreau to visit his 1948 Singer Roadster on display at the 2008 Montreal International Auto Show brought back many happy memories for this scribe.

ABOVE: Back in 1976, I was a spotty teenager with the ink barely dry on my driver's license and found myself in petrolhead heaven. My 1933 Singer Nine Sports was invited to the auto show as part of a European car display and I was parked next to a Maserati Bora, of all things.

We were all part of the V.E.A.E, or Vintage European Automobile Enthusiast's club, where I had the dubious distinction of being the youngest member with the oldest car.

ABOVE: I drove the Singer to and from the event, in spite of it being the 'wrong' time of year to be driving a sports car, especially one with no top at all! To give my girl friend of the time credit, she sat in the passenger's seat both ways rather than in the warmth of my Father's Ford LTD wagon following behind.

As I like to say to my friend Gene Abdondelo, a recent Pre-War Singer convert..."The chicks dig the car, Gene, the chicks dig the car!" :-)


LEFT: Fast-forward to 2008 and Robert's 1948 "FrankenSinger' Roadster gleams under the halogen lights like a perfect diamond in contrast to my Sports 'way back in time, but some things don't change: Both cars drew a huge amount of attention and for many it was their first look at a Singer car.

Congratulations Robert and well done!

No comments: